I have some ideas that I think, bizarre as it may seem,
Visual Studio 6.0
might actually be useful for. Yep, this is the version that came out in 1998.
I still have my original copy from around that time. This was before all that new-fangled .NET
stuff came out.
I thought it would be fun to write a version of the old Tetravex game, since it's very simple in operation.
Just dragging square tiles from one board to another and getting them to match up the numbers/colours.
I found this easy and convenient and cheap technique described in a tweet. Here's my take on it.
If you like tuna sandwiches then you'll probably like this.
The Belgium dish pêche au thon is supposed to be a mixture of tuna and mayonnaise
served on half peaches. Both the tuna and peaches are of the canned variety as far as I can tell.
Here's what it's supposed to look like according to the
French Wikipedia article:
I've been experimenting with WebGL, just for fun.
I found the Mozilla Developer Network
introductory tutorial very helpful.
But I wanted to debug some problems with the shapes I was creating and thought showing a wireframe overlay
would help. Unfortunately that seems to be non-trivial with GL.
Here's a screenshot of what I ended up with though.
This shows the outline of each triangle making up an object, with a bounding box thrown in for good measure.
Update: The Apache people maintaining log4j
have announced that the
fix in 2.15 was “incomplete in certain non-default configurations,” and so now recommend
upgrading to version 2.16.0.
So in the last 24–48 hours one of those periodic big vulnerabilities got everyone excited.
Apparently the Java library log4j 2
has a remote code exploit. It has a feature where the log message formatting can
include code that does an LDAP query
and executes the code returned.
I wanted to be able to show some useful debugging information when my C program hits an unrecoverable
error (or an error it's not worth trying to recover from in this case, like out of memory). There's no
way to do it with what's in standard C, but there is a function for it in glibc called
I recently came across an odd problem in CSS. The default styling
of the <ol> element can’t always be replicated by
a stylesheet. This means you might want to be careful with ‘reset’
styling that you won’t later be able to override.
I’ve recently been fiddling with some Google Analytics stuff (partly
to help with a
Google Analytics training course)
which involves adjusting the tracking code to make use of some of the more
advanced GA features. I wanted to understand what the snippet of
We've been having some problems with the changes we made to our site's
design, specifically our choice of the Google Android font
Roboto Light for the main body text. We've deployed it as
a web font, and it seemed to work everywhere just fine. Until, that is,
we got reports that it wasn't rendering properly in Chrome on Windows.
Ironically, the only browser that can't render this font is made by the
same people who made the font itself.
Published 5 July 2014 at 18:12
projects, and in both cases the sorting had to be done on more than one
on an Array object, and optionally passing in a function (usually an
anonymous function) to do the comparison.
Response to Parental Internet Controls consultation
Published 7 September 2012 at 08:12
Below is the submission I sent to the UKCCIS (UK Council for Child Internet Safety) in response to their consultation on imposing network-level filtering by default on all UK ISPs, raising some of my concerns with the idea.
I finally got round to uploading the Git repositories for my Lua modules to Gitorious.
Well, I've created projects and uploaded the repos for all of the old ones, but I haven't bothered for the SmplTmpl templating module yet.
I really only wrote that for making this website, and it's probably not much use to anyone else.
So I now have a Gitorious project page [update: unlinked http://gitorious.org/~geoffrichards
because Gitorious now seems to be dead].
Whether or not this will turn out to be useful remains to be seen.
I've been digging up my old Lua modules to republish them on the new site, but most of them are in one big Git repository.
I've since learned my lesson, and now create a small single-purpose repo for every separate thing.
(One of the best things about Git is that when you start something new, even if it's unlikely to turn into anything serious, you might as well just do git init and keep a history, just in case it turns out to be useful.)
I want to put my Lua modules up in public like everyone does nowadays, but I don't want to publish a monolithic repository, which contains not only my open source projects, but also some experimental modules that turned out to be a bad idea, and are best kept to myself to avoid embarrassment.
So to do this I've had to figure out how to split out the bits of the code tree and history relevant to each project and turn them into stand-alone repositories.
Fortunately, Git has some nifty features to do this.
I decided to put this website on the www subdomain, since it's a clue to users as to what to expect.
The Bytemark account I'm borrowing from my friend's training company provides the same content without the subdomain.
It's good practice, when both domains lead to the same content, to redirect one to the other.
That will keep URLs consistent and make sure each page has only one canonical URL.